Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Dead Man"

I came across a movie the other week on Netflix titled "Dead Man". You can watch it free on Netflix and if you don't have Netflix it is possible to sign up for a thirty day free trial. The movie may be in the library as well. The movie is a black and white western with, what I felt, was a comical undertone throughout. The movie was shot in 1995 and I thought I would make a suggestion to view it as we were talking about postmodernism and the film is considered to be a postmodern western as well as a psychadelic western. It stars Johnny Depp as William Blake who is on the run and would have been long dead if not for a Native American who found and aided him throughout the film. He calls himself "Nothing". Nothing and Johnny Depp seem to switch roles between main character and supporting character throughout the tale. When watching the film I felt continuously reminded of our class discussion regarding the cosmic comedy, reminding us of our imperfections and humanity. I feel this film ties into the curriculum perfectly. I do not have a link, but the title is "Dead Man" circa 1995 starring Johnny Depp, directed by Jim Jarmush. Also, the film is shot in black and white in its entirety, and is not what I would call to mind when thinking of "western" films. Iggy Pop, Christopher Gloven, and Billy Bob Thornton are also characters in "Dead Man", if that helps to drive the point of the comedic aspect home, but the plot is one of a serious nature, William Blake's (Johnny Depp) life is in grave danger. One more word I wanted to mention, I felt that the main focus of the film bounces to and from Blake's personal predicament to Nothing and the relationship they form, which I felt was the best theme of the film and was slipped into the mix very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment